The Tournament Committee will conduct the LI Sound Blackfish Tournament tournament(the “Tournament”) substantially as described in these rules, and by participating, each participant agrees as follows:
No purchase or charitable donation is necessary to enter or win. A purchase or charitable donation will not increase your chance of winning. Void where prohibited. All federal, state, and local regulations apply.
1. Eligibility: This Skill Based Tournament is open only to U.S. residents, and any participant claiming a cash cash prize may be required to show valid photo ID before receiving their cash cash prize. The Tournament is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. It is the responsibility of each participant to posses any valid saltwater fishing license or registration required at the time of this tournament for taking and landing blackfish in the area that they fish and/or land. Participants must abide by any “bag limit” regulation in place for Long Island Sound at the time of the tournament Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and to Tournament Committee decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Tournament. Winning a cash cash prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
2. Tournament Period: The Tournament will begin at 12:01am ET on Saturday, October 16, 2021 and will run through 5:00 pm ET on the same date. (the “Tournament Period”). The Committe’s computer is the official time keeping device for this Tournament.
3. Registration is Required: You can register to participate in this skill-based tournament only by utilizing the online registration form at LISOUNDBLACKFISHTOURNAMENT.COM Payment of the $60 entry fee must be made at time of registration for each participant, but not later than 11:59pm on October 15, 2021. Registration will begin on September 1, 2021. By registering, you agree to these official rules and the decisions of the Tournament Committee, which are final and binding in all respects. No responsibility is assumed by the Committee for late entries caused by any human or technical malfunction that may have occurred. All entries become the property of the Tournament and not be returned to any participant. REGISTRATION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE
4. Polygraph Testing: By registering, all contestants agree to be polygraph tested in order to claim a cash prize, and prior to being awarded any cash prize won. To remain eligible for their respective cash prizes, first, second and third cash prize winners may be required to take and pass a polygraph test within one (1) month following the tournament date or, in the event of rescheduling due to a natural disaster, by December 15, 2021). All polygraph tests must be administered by a person approved by the Tournament Director. The Tournament Committee also reserves the right to require any other cash prize winner to take and pass a polygraph test to remain eligible for that cash prize. Refusal to be polygraph tested within the time specified above will result in automatic disqualification and to immediate forfeiture of any potential cash prize that might be awarded. Anyone contesting a winner’s entry may, upon demonstrating reasonable justification to the Committee, request a polygraph test at the protestor’s expense. In the event of a winner failing a polygraph test, the winner has 30 days to retake and pass the polygraph test at the winner’s expense to claim their cash prize.
5. Rain or Shine Event: The Tournament will be held rain or shine. The Tournament Committee strongly encourages all participants to maintain awareness of the weather conditions, and the marine weather forecast in the Long Island Sound for the day of the tournament, and to boat and fish only in waters that they know are safe for their vessels, themselves and anyone with them. The tournament assumes no responsibility or liability for a contestant’s decisions and actions that may result in injury or property damage. If the Tournament is totally cancelled due to natural disaster or an act of God, as determined by the Tournament Committee”s exclusive discretion, the Tournament will be rescheduled for Saturday, October 23, 2021, subject to whatever limitations Tournament Committee may set. This is the final tournament date. If cancelled and not rescheduled, no refunds will be provided, and the total net proceeds of the tournament will be distributed to United Cerebral Palsy of Long Island. Announcements for canceling and rescheduling the tournament will be posted on the tournament website and/or other social media platforms by 6:00pm on October 15, 2021.
6. Tournament Description: All people who are fishing for blackfish for cash prize consideration during the tournament must be registered. (a) For the purpose of this Tournament, Long Island Sound’s westernmost border will not be past the Whitestone Bridge. The easternmost border will not be past the Colregs Demarcation Line (a line running from Orient Point, New York across Plum Island, across Great, Little, and Gull Island, to Race Point on Fisher’s Island and from East Point on Fisher’s Island to Watch Hill Point, Rhode Island which includes Fisher’s Island Sound). (b) Blackfish must be caught unaided by hook and line from a boat on Long Island Sound or from the shore of Long Island Sound, in each case subject to the borders described above. For purposes of this tournament, Long Island Sound includes all harbors and bays, as well as the main body of water within the above stated borders. Any assistance in the process of catching & reeling in of the fish will result in an automatic disqualification of that fish, however, having someone net the fish for you and bring it into the boat will not disqualify the fish (c) Blackfish must be caught and presented for weigh-in between 12:01 am Saturday October 16, 2021, and 5:00 pm Saturday October 16, 2021. No blackfish brought for a weigh-in after 5:00 pm on Saturday, October 16, 2021, will be eligible for a cash prize. NO EXCEPTIONS It is the responsibility of the contestants to be aware of the hours of operation of the official weigh-in location that they plan to utilize. The Tournament Committee assumes no responsibility for a change in hours of operation of an official weigh-in location which may result in the inability of a contestant to weigh-in a fish for consideration of a cash prize within the stated time limit. (d) NOTE! Blackfish frozen, partially frozen, or without their eyes intact and clearly visible when presented for weigh-in will be disqualified. Only FRESH Blackfish that are 16 inches or longer in length, with eyes intact and clearly visible, will be considered. Any blackfish that results in a cash prize, and only those that result in a cash prize, become the property of the Tournament Committee if requested.
7. Judging: (a) Blackfish must be presented at any of the official weigh-in locations. A list of their locations is available on the official tournament website. (b) In the interest of allowing for the most winners, only the heaviest of the fish presented by each contestant will be judged to be a contending fish. NO CONTESTANT MAY PRESENT MORE THAN ONE FISH FOR CASH PRIZE CONSIDERATION, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF HAVING CAUGHT THE SPECIALLY TAGGED FISH AS WELL AS ONE OF THE 14 HEAVIEST FISH. HOWEVER A CONTESTANT MAY BE ENTITLED TO MORE THAN ONE CASH PRIZE FOR A SINGLE BLACKFISH IF IT QUALIFIES FOR A “BONUS PRIZE”. (c) Blackfish presented for weigh-in may be subjected to a Torry Meter test. (d) In the event of a weight tie, the winner will be selected as the earliest to weigh-in his/her fish. (e) The decision of the Tournament Committee with respect to a tiebreaker shall be final. (g) Any challenges to the official winners list must be submitted by email to LISOUNDBLACKFISHTOURNAMENT@GMAIL.COMno later than 4:00 pm on Wednesday October 20, 2021. Anyone making such a challenge will be required to demonstrate clear and indisputable evidence to support their claim. Anonymous challenges will be disregarded.
8. Cash prizes: The approximate total value of all cash prizes (“Cash cash prize Pool”) will be determined by the number of valid entries. The Cash cash prize Pool will be equal to exactly 50% of the total value of the registration fees, with 50% (less any reasonable fixed costs of the Tournament Committee) of the registration fees being donated to United Cerebral Palsy of Long Island. (a) First Place: A check in an amount equal to 40% of the cash prize pool will be awarded to the contestant with the heaviest Blackfish by weight. Second Place: A check in the amount equal to 20% of the cash cash prize pool will be awarded to the contestant with the second heaviest Blackfish by weight. Third Place: A check in the amount of 10% of the cash prize pool will be awarded to the contestant with the third heaviest fish by weight. Fourth Place: A check in an amount equal to 5% of the cash prize pool will be awarded to the contestant with the fourth heaviest fish by weight. Fifth Place – Fourteenth Place: A check in an amount equal to 2.5% of the cash prize pool will be awarded to the contestants with the next 10 heaviest fish by weight. Checks will be mailed out once each winner has fulfilled all requirements as stated herein including those in Paragraph 4. No assignment, transfer, or substitution of any cash prize is permitted. Taxes on the value of any cash cash prizes are the sole responsibility of the winner. The Tournament Committee reserves the right to disqualify any individual if it finds, in the Committee’s sole discretion, a winner to be in violation of these rules, and such contestants will forfeit his or her registration fee and/or cash prize.
8.(a) Bonus Prize for Specially Tagged Fish: Sometime within 48 hours prior to the start of the tournament, a specially tagged Blackfish in excess of 16 inches will be released into an undisclosed location within the fishing boundaries of the Tournament. Only a single fish will be tagged for purposes of awarding this bonus prize. The tag will have a unique identifying number printed on it. The Chairperson of the Tournament Committee will be the only person associated with the tournament who will know the identification number of the tag, and he will be responsible for releasing the fish. The location of the release will be recorded but will not be disclosed or made public. In order to avoid any potential conflict or misunderstanding stemming from a participant catching a blackfish that may have been tagged for a purpose other than this tournament and bonus prize, a photo which clearly shows the identifying number will be taken of the tag in the fish to be released. A copy of this photo will be held by the Committee Chairman and a copy will also be sent to an attorney for the Committee and will be held for safekeeping by the attorney in a sealed envelope. If a registered tournament participant should catch the specially tagged fish after 12:01 am on Saturday, October 16, 2021, and have it brought to an official weigh-in location before 5:00 pm on Saturday, October 16, 2021, the participant will, subject to verification and polygraph test, win a cash bonus of $5,000 to be paid as soon as is practicable. The tag and the fish must be presented to the Committee Chairman for verification by 5:00pm Sunday, October 17th, 2021, and the unique identifying number on the presented tag must exactly match the number of the tag in the photo. As an additional security measure, the tagged fish released for this tournament will be uniquely marked in a manner that will not harm the fish. This marking will also be photographed and any fish presented for consideration of the tagged fish bonus prize must have a marking to exactly match that in the photo. A copy of this photo will also be held in a sealed envelope by an attorney. With respect to any dispute, the decision of the Tournament Committee Chairman will be final and all contestants agree to hold the Tournament Committee and all parties associated with the Tournament harmless, and release the Tournament Committee and all associated parties of any liability or obligation with regard to the payment of the tagged Blackfish bonus prize.
8.(b) Bonus Prize for Blackfish over 15 pounds: Any contestant that catches a Blackfish weighing over 15 pounds will win a cash bonus of $1,000. The contestant must be registered for the tournament, and the fish must be caught after 12:01 am on Saturday, October 16, 2021 and brought to an official weigh-in location before 5:00 pm on Saturday, October 16, 2021. The bonus cash prize will be paid to the contestant only after verification of the weight of the fish, and that it was caught in accordance with the rules. The Tournament Committee has the final decision with regard to payment of any cash bonus for a Blackfish over 15 pounds.
9. Verification of Potential Winner: THE ELIGIBILITY OF ALL POTENTIAL TOURNAMENT WINNERS IS SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY THE TOURNAMENT COMMITTEE, WHOSE DECISIONS ARE FINAL AND BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THE TOURNAMENT. The potential winner must continue to comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules, and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements. The potential winner may be notified by mail, email, and/or telephone call after the date of determination of winners by the Tournament Committee. The potential winners may be required to sign and return to Tournament Committee, within three (3) days of the date notice is sent, an affidavit of eligibility and a liability/publicity release (except where prohibited) in order to claim his/her cash prize, if applicable. In the event the winner is under the age of 18, a parent or guardian (over the age of 18) of the winner must sign the affidavit and releases. A winner who returns the affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release will be deemed to have accepted the Tournament cash prize and thereafter will not be permitted to rescind their acceptance of the cash prize and/or return the cash prize. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, fails to sign and return the affidavit of eligibility and/or the liability/publicity release within the required time period (if applicable), or if the cash prize or cash prize notification is returned as undeliverable, potential winner forfeits cash prize. In the event that the potential winner of a cash prize is disqualified for any reason, Tournament Committee will award the applicable cash prize to an alternate winner by random drawing from among all remaining eligible entries.
10. Entry Conditions and Release: By entering the tournament, each participant agrees to: (a) comply with and be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Tournament Committee, which are binding and final in all matters relating to this Tournament; (b) release and hold harmless the Tournament Committee, any participating sponsors, and United Cerebral Palsy of Long Island (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to negligence and damages of any kind to persons and property, including but not limited to invasion of privacy (under appropriation, intrusion, public disclosure of private facts, false light in the public eye or other legal theory), defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, infringement of trademark, copyright or other intellectual property rights, property damage, or death or personal injury arising out of or relating to a participant’s entry, creation of an entry or submission of an entry, participation in the Tournament, acceptance or use or misuse of cash prize (including any travel or activity related thereto) and/or the broadcast, exploitation or use of entry; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or relating to an entrant’s participation in the Tournament and/or entrant’s acceptance, use, non-use or misuse of the cash prize.
11 Publicity: Except where prohibited, participation in the Tournament constitutes winner’s consent to use by the Tournament Committee, and its agent, of the winner’s name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions and/or biographical information (including hometown and state) for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration, unless otherwise prohibited by law.
12. Taxes: All State, Local, Federal and/or other taxes, duties, tariffs, title fees, licensing fees, or other fees for cash prizes awarded become the sole responsibility of the winner. All those who win a cash prize or cash prizes valued $600 or more in any given year may be issued an IRS Form 1099 to report their winnings and must submit an IRS Form W-9 to the Tournament Committee in order to claim cash prize.
13. General Conditions: Tournament Committee reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Tournament, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Tournament Committee’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Tournament, as determined by Tournament Committee in its sole discretion. Tournament Committee reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Tournament or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Tournament may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Tournament Committee reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Tournament Committee’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
14. Limitations of Liability: The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Tournament Committee, entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Tournament; (2) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Tournament; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Tournament or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Tournament or receipt or use, non-use or misuse of any cash prize. No more than the stated number of cash prizes will be awarded. In event that a production, technical, programming or other error causes more than the stated number of cash prizes as set forth in these Official Rules to be claimed, Tournament Committee reserves the right to award only the stated number of cash prizes by a random drawing among all legitimate, unawarded, eligible cash prize claims.
15. Disputes: Entrant agrees that: (i) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Tournament, or any cash prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (ii) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Tournament, or any cash prizes awarded, shall be resolved exclusively by the United States District Court or the appropriate state court located in the Tournament Committee’s georgraphic area; (iii) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Tournament, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (iv) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant and Tournament Committee in connection with the Tournament, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the New York State, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State in which the Tournament Committee is located or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New York.
16 Entrant’s Personal Information: All entry blanks, forms, devices, and materials gathered during the course of entry, as well as all information contained therein, shall become the sole property of Tournament Committee to be used, disposed of or destroyed in its sole discretion. The Tournament Committee shall be prohibited from selling, or in any other form, receiving any remuneration for information contained on material gathered during the course of entry, without the express written consent of the contestants. Tournament Committee is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information entered by website users, and assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to Tournament Committee’s website.
The Tournament and its Sponsors are not responsible for the conduct, personal damages or negligence on the part of any contestant.
This Tournament is held in strict compliance with the laws of the State of New York.
17. Tournament Results: A winners list may be obtained within sixty (60) days after the Tournament Period expires by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to the LI Sound Blackfish Tournament Committee address stated below:
14 Ashley Circle, Commack, NY 11725